Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 k) stew beef, gristle removed, and cubed
- 2 1/4 pounds (1 k) string beans
- A carrot or two, peeled and cut into rounds
- An onion, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) tomato sauce, or a 1-pound (400 g) can of tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- A half cup dry red wine (optional)
Accompaniments? A tossed salad is quite nice.
The wine? Since we eat it in summer, a lighter red along the lines of a Chianti Classico d'Annata or a Rosso di Montalcino. It will also work well with more substantial wines, for example Nobile di Montepulciano or a Valpolicella Classico Superiore.