A foreign citizen living abroad, whose country is listed among those requiring a visa and who intends to attend an Italian language course in Italy, may request a tourist visa ( for stays not beyond 90 days) or a student visa (for stays beyond 90 days) at the local embassy or Italian consulate in the country of residence. It’s important to note that the visa is not a right and its request may  be refused. Some countries take a considerable amount of time to issue an entry visa for Italy; in view of this, it is recommended to contact the Italian consulate or embassy in plenty of time, at least one month before the beginning of the course you wish to attend.
In the absence of an Italian Consular Representation, the tourist visa can be issued by the Consulate of any country that has adhered to the Schengen treaty.


You need an entry visa if you come from:

Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Antigua e Barbuda, Arabia Saudita, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrein, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bielorussia, Bolivia, Bosnia-Erzegovina, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambogia, Camerun, Capo Verde, Centrafrica, Ciad, Cina, Colombia, Comore, Congo, Congo (Repubblica Democratica), Corea del Nord, Costa d'Avorio, Cuba, Dominica, Dominicana (Repubblica), Ecuador, Egitto, Emirati Arabi Uniti, Eritrea, Etiopia, ex-Repubblica Iugoslava di Macedonia, Fiji, Filippine, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Giamaica, Gibuti, Giordania, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Equatoriale, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakistan, Kenia, Kirghizistan, Kiribati, Kuwait, Laos, Lesotho, Libano, Liberia, Libia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldive, Mali, Marianne del Nord, Marocco, Marshall, Mauritania, Mauritius, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Mozambico, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Papua-Nuova Guinea, Perù, Qatar, Repubblica Federale di Iugoslavia (Serbia e Montenegro), Ruanda, Russia, Saint Kitts e Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent e Grenadine, Salomone, Samoa Occidentali, Sao Tomé e Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Siria, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sud Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Tagikistan, Taiwan (entità territoriale non riconosciuta), Tanzania, Thailandia, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad e Tobago, Tunisia, Turchia, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ucraina, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia, Zimbabwe.




In other countries, suh as:

Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brasile, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Cyprus, Korea del Sud, Costa Rica, Croazia, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ex Repubblica Iugoslava di Macedonia, Estonia, Japan, Guatemala, Honduras, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Malesia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, Nicaragua, New Zealand, Panama, Paraguay, Poland, Czech Republic, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, U.S.A., Hungary, Uruguay, Venezuela, it is not obligatory to have a tourist or student visa for stays not beyond 90 days.

To check for any updates to these lists, you should visit the following websites: Ministero degli Affari Esteri and Unione Europea.


Since May 2004, the citizens of Poland, Hungary, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Malta and Cyprus are no longer considered immigrants. In any case, even if you do not need a visa, to avoid problems, you should always check the relevant information about your stay in Italy.


An absolute condition of requesting an entry visa for Italy, both for tourism and for study, is the proof of having sufficient economic means for the period of stay in Italy that you have requested. In this regard the Ministry of Interior has established the following table*:

Length of stay 1 person 2 or more persons
Euro Euro
From 1 to  5 days 269,60 212,81
From 6 to 10 days total fixed rate per person 44,93 26,33
From 11 to 20 days total fixed rate per person 51,64 25,82
Daily rate per person 36,67 22,21
Beyond 20 days: fixed rate per person 206,58 118,79
Daily rate per person 27,89 17,04


*Ministero degli Affari Esteri.




Documentation Required by the Visa Office:

  1. Passport with at least three months additional validity (six months in some countries) beyond the period for the requested visa, and with at least one empty page
  2. Return airplane ticket (or other means of transport)
  3. Documentation confirming possession of financial means sufficient for sustenance during the stay in Italy
  4. Documentation that proves that you are in a socio-economic position or in a working and family position that guarantees your effective interest in returning to your own country at the end of the validity period of the visa
  5. Confirmation of hotel booking or other accommodation.
  6. Insurance (policy) of an Italian company or of a foreign company valid in Italy, which adequately covers health/medical expenses, medical treatment, hospitalization without the upper limit of insurance benefits, for the entire duration of the visa; or voluntary subscription to the National Health System (Sistema Sanitario Nazionale);
  7. A certificate of registration to a courses of study or courses of professional/vocational training at authorized institutions or to cultural and research activities.


Once you have verified that you have the minimum requirements, you can enroll in the course by sending the enrollment form to the school and pay the full cost of the course chosen (see Regulations).


It is only when this verification and payment is received that the school can issue the certificate of registration, a letter to confirm the course chosen, the address of the accommodation booked and the invoice related to the amount paid, in order to allow the start of the process for the visa request,


It is not possible to issue a visa (nor the extension of a pre-existing visa) to foreign citizens who are already on Italian territory. Only the extension or the renewal of a residence permit can officially allow the extension of stay. In Italy the Police can not extend or renew the residence permit if the visa is of "C" type.




If you need more information on the issuing of entry visas and the residence permits you can visit the following websites:


Ministero degli Affari Esteri

Italian Embassies and Consulates around the world (in Italian). On some websites you can also find the information in different languages other than Italian.

Ministero dell'Interno - Polizia di Stato
Information about your entry visa and residence permit in Italy (in Italian only).